Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Bliss is...

These days, I try to count my blessings instead of my gripes because it just is easier to be happier than grumpy and annoyed.


Something I've been richly blessed with is the opportunity to indulge in one of my favourite pampering experiences - spas. I know a massage at a spa ain't exactly cheap, and I've wasted a fair amount of money going to places that I've thoroughly regretted, so here's my attempt to repay my good karma by narrowing down the choices.

1. Clarins Skin Spa, Wheelock Place
I don't think I've been to a spa where the therapists are as well trained as the ones here. Unlike many run-of-the-mill places where the therapists use standard hand gestures that don't really do much for sore aching muscles, all the steps in all the treatments here at the Skin Spa are specially designed not just to relax you but also have beauty benefits such as skin tightening or lymphatic drainage.

I really like the lymphatic drainage body massage which is so soothing with its long flowing strokes that I fell asleep somewhere during the treatment. And it really helps to reduce water retention because right after the massage, I had to run to the loo to pee. Apparently, most other women who do this treatment have reported a similar effect.

Of course, all face and body treatments use Clarins' products, some of which have been developed specially for use in the spa only. Prices are about $150 per treatment.

2. Auriga Spa, Capella Sentosa
This is my pick if you are after some serious indulgence. It is pretty much close to perfect, from the moment you enter the spa and get offered a cup of tea, until you leave the lovely post-massage lounge where you are welcome to hang out at for as long as you like after your treatment.

No complaints about the quality of the therapists either. They can adjust their pressure to your liking (I like strong deep tissue massages) and there are no random breaks during the massage where the therapist walks off for a few minutes for no apparent reason.

My tip: Go about 45 minutes early so that you have about 30 minutes to enjoy the amazing water facilities before your massage. There's a hot pool. steam room, rainforest shower and ice chip bath, among other lovely treats to enjoy.

Prices are about $200, but you get to use all the spa facilities and not just get shipped straight to the treatment room.

3. Qi Mantra, various locations
This became my regular spot for massages about six months ago when I signed up for a package because I was experiencing a burning pain in my neck and shoulders.

It's great for those who prefer not to spend time on the frills like salt scrubs or foot soaks since the only focus is on massages. Very useful if you are a time-starved workaholic.

The strong, tui-na inspired massages work wonders on sore and tired shoulders and backs that have spent one too many hours hunched over computer at work. Seriously, it took me just three sessions to get rid of that horrible burning sensation which was starting to alarm me. Go for the Power Back massage where the therapist spends the entire glorious 60 minutes kneading away at the back for maximum effect.

Prices are slightly under $100 per 60 minute massage.

Honourable mention: LS Philosophy, Thong Teck Building, Scotts Road
Full disclosure here: The owner is a great friend of mine, which is why I did not include this spa in my top 3 list in case people think I'm shamelessly plugging a friend's business. But I think it deserves a mention because it is a seriously good spa which offers really luxuriant, pampering treatments.

Everything here reflects the owner's eye for detail and generosity. You get a choice of tea and small tidbits and I've even seen her offer home-cooked Burmese cuisine to spa customers. Nobody will rush you to leave when you're done with your treatment so you can sit and check emails and all that in the spacious lobby.

The therapists are the sweetest and most polite girls you can ever hope to encounter and will do everything to make you utterly blissed out.

And this is an awesome place to indulge in your tai tai fantasies for a few hours because there is an attached hair salon. I say just go the whole nine yards and visit the salon after your massage so you can step out looking and feeling like a million bucks!

Prices range from $100-$200 for a massage.

Note: Prices are based on my memory and are only estimates so please do check with the spas directly for accurate prices.

The photograph was taken during a hike on a mountain at 3,500 elevation in Bhutan. Right after I snapped that picture, the sky darkened and the clouds disappeared.



No comments:

Post a Comment