Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2014

My Favourite Things




Along with the little black dress, white shirt and strands of pearls, denim jeans often rank high on list of wardrobe essentials that every woman should own. Anyone who knows me will know that I’ve long been a fan of Uniqlo’s skinny jeans for their impeccable cut, excellent fabrics and wallet-friendly price points. So, of course, I had to try the Japanese brand’s new and improved Ultra Stretch Jeans! I am pleased to report that these jeans lived up to expectations with a stretchy fabric that hugs without sagging and fits like a second skin without hampering movement.  

Also, if you are like 99.9% of the world's population (myself included), and have some lumps and bumps to smoothe out, these jeans are pretty good at putting these excess bits in their place without squeezing you to death.

Not quite convinced yet? As a dutiful yogini-in-training, I decided to #stopdropandyoga to see how these jeans would measure up in pretzel poses. Click through to see more limb twisting, body contorting pictures, just because they're fun heehee.






Pretty impressive eh, considering that some other skinny jeans from brands that I shan't mention don't even have enough give to allow you to take big strides while you are wearing them. This could be hazardous to your wellbeing if you were say, trying to cross a busy road with cars coming at you in multiple directions ;)

Of course, I would still recommend a pair of exercise leggings during yoga practice, but as far as ease of movement and comfort goes, this range of Uniqlo jeans certainly takes the cake. 

For the benefit of those who don't necessarily feel compelled to break out in random yoga poses while they are out and about, let's talk fashion instead. What I like about the Ultra Stretch range is that it comes in a variety of colours and cuts. Besides the regular cut, which sits nicely on the hips, there's also an ankle-length version with zippered hems, and my favourite - the High Rise silhouette.

As seen in the main picture on the top, the waistband starts just below the belly button and has a slightly longer than normal in-seam to create the illusion of legs that go on forever. These are great for pairing with teeny little crop tops as well, since they won't reveal too much of your belly (refer to Karen's elevator selfie)!


As a general rule of thumb, the darker the wash of the jeans, the more formal they will appear. As long as you're not in a profession with a very formal dress code, I've found that dark navy or black denims are perfectly fine for work meetings, as long as they're matched with a dressy top or crisp shirt, and a structured handbag for good measure.

Otherwise, lighter, faded washes are great for the humid climate because they absorb less heat. My favourite pair of Ultra Stretch jeans is this pre-washed semi-faded pair that goes with just about anything in my closet, from oversized T-shirts to pretty camisoles. Just to prove to myself just how versatile it is, I made myself wear a Canadian tux (that's denim on denim for the unintiated) for the first time in my life. Just be sure to pick two slightly differing shades of denim, and break up the monotony with cute accessories and you're good to go.


So, if you're in the market for a new pair of jeans (who isn't?), do drop by Uniqlo to try out a pair or two. I think you'll be quite pleasantly surprised at how flattering a pair of skinny jeans can be.

Also, don't forget to share your Ultra Stretch selfies and OOTDs on www.uniqlodenim247.com.sg and hashtag #uniqlosg and #247inuniqlodenim and stand a change to win some cool prizes!

No comments:

Post a Comment